According to China’s Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT) information, 90 indigenous companies have filed a joint application to form the National Integrated Circuit Standardization Technical Committee with its proposed secretariat to be established in the China Electronics Standardization Institute.
China’s semiconductor industry is one of the most severely trapped industries in electronics manufacturing. Most of the foundries are either weak in technology or small-scaled, so they need to cooperate in groups. The local chip market’s vulnerability was exposed after a recent ban on Huawei and ZTE from accessing US technology. Even semiconductor companies like SMIC were prevented from accessing US technology on making an effort to fill the void created by the ban.
The aim to create this committee is to coordinate weak industries and the promotion of integrated circuit (IC) standardization work, including strengthening the standardization team building.
The 90 Chinese firms that are part of this consortium include Huawei, Xiaomi, HiSilicon, Datang Semiconductor, Zhanrui Communication, Unichip Microelectronics, ZTE Microelectronics, China Mobile, SMIC, China Unicom, Datang Mobile, Tencent, ZTE, and more.
According to a report by Gizmochina, the committee will focus on the research and formulation of the following standards:
- Boost the relevant standards for evaluating IC products, including conducting research on the evaluation requirements of IC bare chips and organizing the creation of relevant standards.
- To keep track of the development of the emerging packaging technologies, “focusing on the standardization of high-density FC-BGA packaging, wafer-level 3D rewiring packaging, through silicon via (TSV) packaging, SiP radiofrequency packaging, and ultra-thin chip 3D stacked packaging technologies.”
- Conducting research and standard formulation in response to the reliability, performance, and information security requirements of IC products in emerging applications.
- Conduct parameter index system and quality assurance element research, create blank detailed specifications, to provide a basis for the preparation of detailed specifications for IC products, and ensure that product parameter indicators can fully meet the performance requirements, reliability requirements, and information security of integrated circuits in the above application fields.
- Boost the standard system of testing methods and environmental and mechanical testing methods to ensure that the testing and testing of various parameter indicators have standards to follow.