The STM32WB5MMG (STM32) is a wireless microcontroller module by STMicroelectronics. It is a compact ultra-low-power module that allows customers to design 2-layer PCBs and integrates everything up to the antenna, including an IPD (integrated passive device) for reliable antenna matching in order to reduce the overall costs.
The STM32 wireless module is compatible with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) 5.0, OpenThread, Zigbee 3.0, dynamic and static concurrent modes, and 802.15.4 proprietary protocols. It also supports simultaneous dual-protocol mode that allows IEEE 802.15.4 radio-based protocols like Zigbee 3.0 and OpenThread for direct connection with any BLE device.
The STM32 wireless module is a SiP-LGA86 package (System in Package Land Grid Array) with various external components including:
- STMicro STM32WB55 Cortex-M4/M0+ wireless MCU
- LSE crystal
- HSE crystal
- Passive components for SMPS
- Antenna matching and antenna
- IPD for RF matching and harmonics rejection
- Dedicated Arm Cortex-M0+ for radio and security tasks
- Dedicated Arm Cortex-M4 CPU with FPU and ART (adaptive real-time accelerator) up to 64 MHz speed
- Supports 2 Mbit/s
- TX output power up to +6 dBm
- RX sensitivity: -96 dBm (Bluetooth Low Energy at 1 Mbps), -100 dBm (802.15.4)
- Range: up to 75 meters
- Fully integrated BOM, including 32 MHz radio and 32 kHz RTC crystals
- Integrated SMPS
- 68 GPIOs
- 1.8 V to 3.6 V VDD range
- -40 ºC to 85 ºC temperature range
- Certifications: CE, FCC, IC, JRF, SRRC, RoHS, REACH, GOST, KC, NCC
The STM32WB5MMG is a tiny wireless module measuring 7mm x 11.3mm that reduces the design complexities like tuning the antenna and optimizing the RF, hence allowing quicker implementation into customer designs. The STM32WB55VGY MCU in the wireless module makes it suitable for advanced applications such as home automation, smart locks, wireless audio devices, and healthcare personal trackers. STM32CubeMX graphical tool can be used to configure projects, and the ultra-low-power features of the STM32 wireless module “enable the extended battery lifetime, small coin-cell batteries or energy harvesting.”
STMicroelectronics is soon going to release the STM32WB55MMG-DK development board with a “myriad of sensors, an LCD, external memory, and more” so that all the functionalities of the wireless module can be explored.